Senior executive with significant domestic and international experience managing business units. Expert in fitness / wellness industry, sport medicine, metabolic syndrome and bringing health care to the general public outside of a clinical environment. Skilled in operations, strategic planning and marketing of wellness, health care and fitness products and services. Through consulting, developed relationships with world health leaders, key corporate decision makers, and subject matter experts throughout the United States as well as in China, Italy, Brazil, Indonesia, Turkey, Mexico and Australia. With the following selected accomplishments:
- Conducted over 550 health and wellness presentations to groups ranging in size from 5-3000.
- Invited speaker to 38 international conferences.
- Authored five books:
- INSIGHT’s on Exercise,
- Handbook of Acceleration Training,
- Exercise Testing and Program Design for the Healthcare Professional
- Try Fitness First,
- Medical Fitness Resource and Planning Guide.
- Authored over 45 articles in scientific journals, trade publications and large distribution newspapers.
- Past consultant and exercise physiologist for the Duchess of York.
One Small World USA, LLC, Chicago, IL
A boutique consulting firm focusing on linking health, fitness and wellness products and services to category leading companies, hospitals, medical and health care market leaders, fitness centers and independent business operators who wish to bring new products to market, develop strategic alliances to leverage their product line and offer their services in a nontraditional health care setting.
President / Founder
- Acting as CEO for Ascend – Consultation in Health Care – a clinically based eating disorders and weight management behavioral health company:
- Provided the infrastructure that allowed the company to grow from $700K in revenue in 2007 to a 15.6M in 2015.
- Moved company from a paper to electronic billing system and reduced accounts receivable from average of 93 days to 31 days.
- Reduced the time for new staff to be cost positive by identifying and creating pipeline of trained licensed professionals and reducing training time from 9 months to 4 months.
- Expanded the market share for the American College of Sports Medicine by exporting all educational workshops and certifications, to China, Italy, Brazil, Indonesia, Turkey, Mexico, Columbia and Australia.
- Within 18 months, became the #2 fitness and wellness educational provider within China.
- Provided training to 5,332 personal trainers, fitness and medical professionals on topics ranging from exercise prescription and program design to athletic training, metabolic syndrome, sales and marketing and back office operations.
- For Med Graphics, New Leaf and Cosmed, repositioned their sport medicine assessment products, created role out and marketing plan to expand potential market share from 10M to 300M.
- Manage a “C” suite wellness / personal training program, focusing on executives with higher risk medical issues for companies such as SOLO Cup, Oscar Mayer Foods, Quaker Oats, Morningstar, Fruit of the Loom, Lettuce Entertain You Restaurants and CNA Insurance.
BALLY TOTAL FITNESS, Chicago, IL Vice President – Clinical Services
- MBA, Northwestern Kellogg School of Management, 1991
- Ph.D. in Exercise Physiology/Cardiac Rehabilitation – University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1987
- MA in Exercise Physiology, Kent State, 1983
- BS, Ithaca College, 1977
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- Fellow – American College of Sports Medicine – current
- Fellow – Medical Fitness Association – current
- Member – Medical Wellness Association – current
- Chairman – Power Plate Sport Medicine Advisory Board (2005– 2008 and 2011 – current)
- Member – Life Fitness Sports Medicine Advisory Board (1997-2004)
- Member – National Commission on Reform of Secondary Education
- Member – National Task Force on Citizenship Education
ADDENDUM: Corporate Clients have included:
McKinsey Consulting USA
Harris Trust and Savings
Institute for Lifetime Fitness
Mid North Realty
Health Fitness Corporation
Pritikin Longevity Center
Scarsdale Wellness Institute
Handy Andy Home Center
Oscar Mayer Fitness Center
All Pro Fitness
Aerobics West Fitness
Downtown Sports Club
Fitness First Racquet Club
West Hills Athletic Club
Wheaton Sports Center
Onterie Fitness Center
Lakeshore Athletic Club
JCC’s of Chicago
New York Fitness Center
Sierra Athletic Club
Tennis Corp of America
Crunch Fitness Centers
Community Health Network
Rancho Physical Therapy
Columbia Health Care
Bronson Healthcare Group
Plus One Fitness
University of Chicago
Laurelhurst Physical Therapy
World Wide Wellness
Weiss Memorial Hospital
Hancock Memorial Hospital
Barton Memorial Hospital
Canadian Back Institute
Baptist Health Care of